Skip to main content


  • Health Insurance is required by every enrolled student.
  • Students must be enrolled full time before they can be enrolled in the RA/TA Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP)
  • Students will be enrolled in the system-wide policy (Student Blue) and charged $1,110 each semester if they do not have another creditable health insurance policy.
  • The waiver process must be completed by the specified deadline for the fall semester.
  • The Student Blue & RA/TA (GSHIP) polices are separate


A graduate student is eligible for enrollment in the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP), frequently referred to as the RA/TA Health Insurance plan, and provided the following four criteria are met:

  1. The student must be registered as a full-time graduate student in good standing at the University.
  2. The student is functioning as a Research Assistant (RA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Fellow or Trainee.
  3. The student’s service and non-service appointments must be based on academically-related endeavors within an academic program/department.
  4. The student must receive a minimum prescribed compensation for services, as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant, or receive a fellowship or traineeship award during a policy year from an appropriate source of University funds related to their academic appointment(s). The minimum prescribed compensation is updated for each plan year.

Waiving the University Student Health Insurance (Student Blue)

  1. Enroll in GSHIP or have another credible insurance policy.
  2. Receive insurance card & policy information in the mail.
  3. Go to Waiver Pageand follow the instructions/prompts

Dependent Coverage

To enroll a Spouse, Domestic Partner or Dependent you will need:

  • Social Security Number
  • Prior insurance information (insurer, policy number and dates of coverage
  • An application – download the electronic application off the website or link is below.
  • Contact BCBS to add dependents (800-579-8022)

Helpful & Additional Information